In these challenging times, the business practices of all organizations are experiencing a season of review and change. ASM Global and the Colorado Convention Center (CCC) in Denver are undergoing change especially as it
pertains to its cleaning and disinfecting practices.
One change significant with its cleaning protocols is the adopting of Tersano Stabilized Aqueous Ozone (SAO®) for cleaning, disinfecting, sanitizing, and deodorizing. SAO is a simple, safe and sustainable way to clean any convention center, arena, stadium or other expansive public gathering space.
To prepare a COVID-19 Response Plan, ASM Global, the contract Venue Management organization to the CCC, conducted a thorough review of its facility program—particularly its cleaning and disinfection capabilities.
A progressive team with over two million square feet LEED-certified structure in its care, the CCC facility staff conducted a trial of SAO. The goal of the trial was to demonstrate a level of cleaning on par with or better than traditional chemical-based cleaners, that were in-use while also creating a simpler, safer, more sustainable way to protect staff and guests.
When used as directed, the Tersano SAO system:
- Kills 99.99% of the Coronavirus-2 surrogate and many other transmittable bacteria.
- Uses on-site generation eliminating the need to continually purchase chemical cleaning products.
- Increases productivity through an all-in-one solution.
- Is non-corrosive and safe for virtually any surface including high-grade granite.
- Offers facility staff a zero-risk alternative to toxic chemical cleaners.
With COVID-19 or any other transmittable virus, the health and safety of our staff and guests is paramount. Eliminating bacteria and killing germs using Tersano / SAO ensures we meet that objective.
Facility Maintenance Director
ASM Global, Colorado Convention Center
The CCC is the 12th largest convention center in the United States—and one of the busiest in the world. The building features a 5,000-seat theater, 6 exhibit halls, 2 ballrooms and 84 meeting rooms. Since the onset of the pandemic, Bell and his staff have been aggressive in elevating housekeeping cleaning protocols. The team has adopted well with their “new norm” changes in preparation for the eventual return of the mass public.
“We were using traditional, chemical-based cleaners prior to the pandemic. With our building being LEED certified, we wanted to switch to a greener disinfectant cleaning solution,” explains Bell. “We talked with multiple housekeeping management teams including the team responsible for the care and cleaning of the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Florida. They strongly recommended SAO so we gave it a try.”
SAO is used to clean almost every surface from hard floors to carpet, tile and VCT in addition to restrooms, meeting areas, conference rooms, ballrooms and our entertainment theater.
With our previous products we had a 9- to 11-minute kill time on viruses and bacteria,” says Bell. “With Tersano/SAO, the dwell time is now 1 - minute with no loss in performance. I know it’s a small sample size, but current results put us in position to never go back to using cleaning chemicals.
- SAO reverts back to water and oxygen and can be disposed down the drain without negatively impacting waterways.
- ECO Friendly on every level.
- Allows for a more consistent cleaning and disinfection of the convention center.
- Has not sacrificed any cleaning outcomes as they complete the process of moving from non-sustainable chemicals to SAO.