8 Eco Living Tips You Can Start TODAY

Want to add more green to your daily routine?

Earth Day is a great time to step back and reevaluate simple changes we could all make to show the planet some kindness.

To start you off on your journey to eco-living, we’ve created a list of our top 10 tips you can start TODAY without breaking a sweat or the bank!
#1: Hit the Lights

Let’s start with a tip that’s as easy as flipping a switch – literally. Research reveals that 90% of the energy consumed by a 60 watt lightbulb is used just to heat it up, leaving only 10% for the actual lighting process. Save that precious energy by turning off the lights whenever possible.

#2: Waste Less Food

We all feel great packing up our leftovers, but how often do they get pushed to the back of the fridge, forgotten about behind takeout cartons and delicious fresh picks? To waste less food, we have a few tips: dedicate a day to leftovers and make it a diverse table spread for fun; only cook within your means if you don’t think you’ll eat it all the next day; and, (our favourite), wash your fruits and veggies with a solution that makes them stay fresh longer, like the iClean mini!
#3: Use Cold Water When Possible

We’re not saying to take an ice bath everyday (we love you Earth, but let’s meet in the middle!). However, you can make comfortable changes to your everyday water use, like using cold water instead of warm for laundry. There are many laundry detergents and pods that work just as well in cold water as they do in hot, like tersano’s Laundry Pods (coming soon!).#4: Use Less Single-Use Plastics

Before you head out for the day, remind yourself to use your refillable water bottle and avoid using single-use plastics wherever possible. With enough dedication, you can make everything about your daily routine single-use plastic-free: shopping bags, straws, utensils, and even your cleaning products by using the iClean mini instead.
#5: Save a Tree

Reducing your consumption of single-use plastics will have the earth owing you a big thanks, especially our oceans and landfills. But if you’re looking to save the trees too, consider reducing your everyday paper use. Use a tablet instead of a textbook for taking notes, keep reminders in your phone instead of on sticky notes, and try to digitalize the mail you receive as much as possible. When you’re cleaning the house, opt-in for a reusable microfiber cloth instead of paper towels (coming soon to tersano!).

#6: Plant a Tree, Second-Hand

Many organizations have added tree-planting to their sustainability initiatives to reduce carbon emissions and reforest for the future. Evaluate the everyday products you buy and use (your cellphone, your clothes, your food) and see if they're donating a percentage of your purchase to a reforestation initiative. (Fun fact: tersano plants trees for every iClean mini sold to help you take actionable steps towards reforesting earth!).#7: Sort Your Disposables and Recyclables

With a proper system that works for you and your lifestyle, it doesn’t take a lot of effort to separate your disposables and recyclables. The best part? Many cities offer new homeowners their first set of recycling bins for free so you don’t even have to take out your pocket book for this planet investment.
#8: Recycle Old Electronics

It’s 2023, and many business and service providers are focusing on providing their customers with sustainable solutions. This is especially true for electronic producers. Bell has a Blue Box recycling program that accepts old mobile phones for repurposing. Similarly, tersano gladly accepts all returned iClean minis that have been loved to the limit and ensures they are recycled and regenerated.

Invest in Earth Like There’s No Planet B

We love Earth Day and big power moves for the planet just as much as the next person. But we can’t deny the unsung hero that is the everyday green routine. Not only do these steps easily integrate sustainable steps into your everyday life, but they also amount to a lot of change as time goes on and more people participate. 

Just like the iClean mini, good things really do come in small packages!

Leave a comment

All comments are moderated before being published